And just as the funeral ceremony was coming to an end, Pip feels someone tap his shoulder; he turns around to see a man standing there.
He was not a tall man, and as if to emphasize this even further, he wore an oversized jacket and pants that much too long for him. He smelled of smoke, and he wore his hat very strangely, so that it did not reveal his eyes. With his pipe in his hand, he announced (in a very deep voice) that he had something to say.
“My name is
“Yes, of course. Of course I’d be glad to assist you in uncovering the perpetrator.” Pip replied.
“Meet me at
“I appreciate it, but today is not a good day for me. I just want to go home and spent some time with Joe. He doens't look that well. I think the incident has-"
"Mr. Pirrip. You must know that I am a very busy man; I’m very well known. I assure you that I will not waste your time.” the man said, with a hint of impatience.
“Yes, yes. Alright then....and what do you expect in reward for your labours?"
“Only as much as you think the truth is worth of course.”
And after this was said, the man walked away.
Aishi Jiang
No comments:
Post a Comment